Sunday, May 4, 2014

Motivated Against My Will

Sometimes motivation is expected of us, before being asked if we want to be motivated in the first place. People assume we will be over the moon about something, when we haven't had the time to contemplate any possible interest. Other times there are tasks we need to tackle that makes burning at the stake seem more attractive. Such is life, full of surprise and mystery and the mundane. Who really wants to clean out the rain gutters on a sunny, Saturday afternoon...not me, but it might be the only free time I have to get it done, so I do it. I try to think of what enjoyable activity I may have to look forward to later.


Though I must admit, at the completion of such tedious activities, I do feel a sense of accomplishment for having finally got it done. I do not appreciate it, however, when I'm expected to do something I did not intend to do in the first place, such as volunteering for a weekend charity car wash...not my cup of tea.
So, what is the trick to getting through these things without having an aneurysm? Tell yourself this too, shall pass. It is only temporary. In the case of volunteering, you may even tell the person who did so that you didn't appreciate it, and to ask you next time. Nevertheless, go ahead and finish the task anyway, you will feel better for doing so.

We all have to do things we don't want; it is part of our daily lives. How we approach, the situation is what will determine how we feel inside. Trying to keep a positive attitude in the face of adversity can be hard, but well worth your peace of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment